2016 Aaron Wines, Petite Sirah
Paso Robles, CA
The flagship wine that started it all. Each year we taste through every barrel one by one and select the wines to blend together into the Aaron Petite Sirah. Specifically, it's the barrels that, when tasted blind, simply jump out and wow us. However, it's never about one specific character or flavor profile, but rather those barrels that speak to us across all the different vineyards. Each site we work with produces a very different style of Petite Sirah, and the goal is to create what we feel is a 'complete' wine, which in reality is quite difficult. To check all the boxes, you need to have a lot of elements to create the depth and complexity to really give it that wow factor. In total, the blend is made up of 5 different vineyards in the Willow Creek, Adelaida, and Templeton Gap Districts, all of which bring a different element to the blend. Deep aromatics of cherry liqueur, cassis, licorice, and smoked meats complement a huge palate of dark fruits, pepper, spice, and floral notes.
2017 Aaron Wines, Keola Red Blend
Paso Robles, CA
Aaron's second label wine, KEOLA is comprised of barrels and lots from the same vineyards that make up his top-tier AARON wines. These barrels are declassified lots or extra barrels that don't find their way into our top cuvees, and thus make their way into KEOLA and are presented an awesome wine for everyday drinking.
Each of the vineyard lots were hand picked and sorted three times prior to processing into small open top fermentors. Petite Sirah, Syrah, and Grenache were 100% destemmed, while the Graciano was fermented wtih 50% whole clusters. The fruit was chilled to 48F and cold-soaked for 4-8 days, until a spontaneous native fermentation began. Fermentations are kept cool to help retain aromatics in the finished wines. Delastage was performed for the first 7 days, followed by hand punchdowns twice per day over the course of another 3 weeks, totaling 35-40 days of skin contact.
2017 Aaron Wines Aequorea, Pinot Noir
San Luis Obispo, CA
92pts Jeb Dunnuck
As always, Seafarer is the only vineyard blend Pinot Noir I produce, bringing together fruit from all my coastal sites. The goal is to create a wine that is more about overall texture and depth than individual site expression. Based largely around Greengate Ranch (Edna Valley) and Spanish Springs (Pismo Beach), with smaller amouts of Riven Rock (Cambria) and Derby (San Simeon). Fermented entirely with native yeasts, most lots with some stem inclusion or whole cluster for added spice. Aged 10 months in 30% new French oak.
2018 Aaron Wines Aequorea,Viognier
San Luis Obispo, CA
With Viognier we aim for a style so much different than what is typically produced in California, choosing to showcase what can be done with the variety on the extremes of the coast where it struggles to ripen. Things really came together in 2018, as we had a nice long growing season, ultimately picking the Vio on October 11th with perfect chemistry. This year we chose to ferment 40% in stainless steel and the other 60% in older French oak barrels, giving us a good balance of bright, fresh elements to go with the slightly more textured component of the oak aged portion. Extremely floral and racy, it features a highly perfumed nose of tropical fruits, citrus, white flowers, and pollen. The palate is extremely fresh and vibrant, showcasing candied lemon, pineapple, white orchard fruits, and a brilliant streak of acid and minerality.